Puakea Designs Surfing Weed 8.5 Rudder
The Puakea Designs Surfing Weed 8.5 Rudder designed by Johnny Puakea and Billy Lawson on Oahu, HI. This rudder is designed for all of our OC1 models and made by Outrigger Zone.
Compatible with Puakea canoes only. Please SELECT the correct rudder for your Puakea OC1 model canoe in the drop down menu below. THIS RUDDER IS NOT ONE SIZE FITS ALL MODELS, as every OC1 canoe design has a different rudder shaft.
When creating a sweep in a rudder to shed weeds, you lose some control of the rudder. With the parameters of the Edge design in mind, we designed two weed rudders to achieve minimal drag and maximum control for their conditions.
Puakea Surfing Weed 8.5:
- This rudder is designed for shedding weeds while in the ocean or in the surf
- Surfing rudder for those who are surfing in water with kelp (ie: California)
- The same controlling force as our other surf rudder designs but with a sweep for shedding weeds
- Primary rudder for paddlers in mostly light to mid-water conditions with weeds (kelp, grass, debris)
- Secondary rudder for paddlers with occasional downwind with weeds
- Specs: Length: 8.5 inches, Width (at widest part): 3.375 inches, 34° sweep
- Available for the Cantare Volare, Kahele, Kahe Kai and Ehukai
Please allow up to 5 business days (Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm PST) for order fulfillment.
We ship most of our orders via USPS priority mail.
Need more info on orders? check out our info page: https://store.puakeadesigns.com/puakea-shop-info
LOCAL PICKUP OPTION (Orange County only): Please use the code "OCLOCAL" at checkout to indicate you would like to pick up your order in the Orange County area. You will be contacted directly to arrange pickup location.
Select the correct model in drop down.